To be truthful, I like it perhaps once or twice a year, ideally with friends, but occasionally it's great to cook for lunch and take to work. It's strong flavors, blend of spices and heavy weight to the dish from the rice means it will fill you up for hours.
One packet of smoked mackerel
2 mugs of rice (wholegrain or white)
a large handful of peas
A bunch of fresh parsley and coriander
2tsp of curry powder
1tsp of tumeric
- Boil 2 mugs of rice in 4 mugs of water (it will take around 10-20 minutes)
- Place your eggs onto boil and cook untill hard boiled
- While your rice is cooking, fry an onion in a large knob of butter and add in a large packet of smoked mackerel (around 6 slices). Cook for a minute or so.
- Add your spices (I like to play with the amount so add a little more a little less to taste) and allow the fish and onion to absorb in the spice
- With your rice cooked, strain and then add into the pan with your fish and onions. Stir through and add in your parsley and coriander.
- Peel the hard boiled eggs and add to the kedgeree. Serve.